We Sell International Edition
- Brand new Softcover Textbooks
- Published for sales in Europe or Asia
- Same Color printed & English content
- Dissimilar ISBN & book covers
Linguistics for Everyone-An Introduction 2nd Edition Textbooks
- 2nd Edition
- Anne Lobeck, Kristin E. Denham
- Cengage Learning
This Textbooks capture the interest of all students, regardless of major, and offer them a thorough, engaging introduction to the science of language. To achieve this goal, the authors devised a unique arrangement of chapters that distinguishes this book from conventional introductory linguistics textbooks. Without sacrificing rigor, the authors focus on larger themes rather than on technical details or formal analysis.
Introductory chapter addressing basics such as how to define language, prescriptive versus descriptive grammar, differences between the human language system and other animal communication systems, and so on.
The second chapter, devoted to language, mind, and brain, addresses both psycholinguistic and neurolinguistic evidence for humans’ innate capacity for language. To address core linguistics areas in depth, there are two chapters each on phonetics and phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics.
Throughout the textbooks, special features relate the study of linguistics to the language we use in the real world and every chapter includes innovative and varied activities that review and practice the content and offer your students many opportunities to apply the knowledge in their own lives.
- Unique features highlight the concept of “living language”:
- “Language Alive!” addresses linguistically the way we speak (why do we say tenashoes? who vs. whom) and how language changes and evolves.
- “Did You Know . . .?” offers instructive information on language (double negatives) as well as general content (the first grammarian, Grimm’s tales).
- “Linguistics in the News” concerns topics from the news media (Watson the computer, language gene).
- “Accent on . . .” presents applications of linguistics in professions (speech pathologist, dialect coach).
- Core areas— phonetics and phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics–each have two chapters rather than one as in traditional texts, thus making the book more accessible and easier to teach.
- Language change and variation, with examples from current and historical forms of English, are integrated throughout rather than in isolated chapters.
- Chapters open with “Chapter at a Glance” outlines. Key terms are defined in the margin next to the discussion where they are introduced.
- Chapters end with an extensive “Review, Practice, and Explore” section that offers many exercises, activities, and research topics. Marginal icons key end-of-chapter activities to text.
- The style of the book mirrors its content: it is accessible, fresh, and fun, but also pedagogically sound and theoretically informed.
Item Tips & Hints
International Edition Textbooks
- Customers located in the U.S. can now purchase international edition - U.S. Copyright Office & Google Answers
- is dissimilar textbooks covers & ISBN number only.
- is simply the international counterpart to a U.S. Edition Textbooks.
- its sales & distributed in different regions, such as Europe or Asia.
- is may have different end chapter's case studies and exercises in some subjects.
- restricted sales disclaimer wordings "Not for Sales in USA or Canada" are printed on the cover of the textbooks to discourage U.S. students from obtaining a much more affordable copy - The New York Times